The dishwasher door seal is a crucial part that secures the water from leaking during the wash cycle. If you notice that your dishwasher’s seal is coming off, figure out the cause and fix it as soon as possible.
Your dishwasher door seal may come off due to dirt and debris accumulation. Clean the seal with detergent water and a cotton cloth. The door seal may also come off due to cracks and damage as it wears out over time. In such a case, you must replace the door seal with an appropriate one.
There can be other causes, such as a faulty door latch and a faulty door spring. You must replace the latch and the spring if they cause the seal to come off.
In this article, I will help you figure out the cause of the dishwasher seal coming off frequently. You will also know the step-by-step process to fix the issue. So, keep reading.
Why does my dishwasher seal keep coming off? (Quick fix)
The dishwasher seal, also called the gasket, performs the important function of securing the door during the washing cycle.
The door seal can be located at the inner edge of the door and the inner edge of the washer tub.
You can find two types of seal in your dishwasher, the upper door seal and the lower door seal.
If you notice any of these two dishwasher seals coming off the door, it is an indication for you to examine it for any damages and faults.
And you must prioritize knowing the causes and the possible fix, as ignoring them will cause the flood on your kitchen floor.
Here are the four common reasons why your dishwasher seal is getting off from the door:
1. Dirt and debris accumulation
When dishes are loaded in the dishwasher with leftover food particles, during the wash cycle, those food particles are washed out from the dishes.
But, these start accumulating in the interiors of the dishwasher.
Over the years, a lot of dirt and debris may have accumulated on the door seal.
These accumulations make the door seal brittle, resulting in the loss of elasticity of the gasket.
Food particles deposited beneath the gasket, in the long run, will push the gasket out of the seal chamber.
And debris accumulation is expected if you haven’t cleaned the dishwasher for a long time.
This dirt and debris occupy the surface of the door seal, blocking the door from closing properly.
In this case, you don’t have to replace the door seal completely.
The good thing is that dust accumulation will not completely damage the gasket.
You can follow the below-mentioned method to fix this issue:
- Start by checking the condition of the gasket. If there are no cracks and damage, you don’t need to replace it.
- Notice the pattern of how the seal is positioned. If possible, take a picture of it.
- Now, pull the door seal out of the chamber. Keep the towel and the detergent handy to clean the door seal to wipe out all the stubborn dirt and debris.
- After this step, put the gasket into a tub filled with cold water. Let it soak for 2 to 3 hours before you fit it back into the dishwasher.
- Soaking in cold water will make the seal loosen. Now you can fit it into the door seal chamber.
- You can use silicon glue to fix the door gasket into the chamber.
- Before applying the silicon glue, make sure the rubber gasket is completely dry.
- Avoid shutting the door immediately after applying the glue, and let it dry for the next 24 hours for an effective result.
- Finally, load the dishes. Run the dishwasher. The door seal must be in place after this troubleshooting.
2. Wear out over time
There are several reasons for the door seal to get damaged.
Dishwashers are frequently used to load dishes, especially if you have a large family.
The door seal will wear out over time if you constantly open and close the doors to load and unload the dishes.
This will also cause cracks and damage in the gasket, making it hard to secure the door from accidental opening.
In this case, you must replace the door seal instead of trying to repair it.
Follow the steps mentioned below to replace the door seal:
- While replacing the door gasket, ensure that you buy the gasket which would suit your dishwasher. Note the company and the model number to get the same door seal to make the process easy.
- Begin the process by turning off the electricity and the water supply to prevent hazards.
- Open the dishwasher. Locate the door seal at the edges of the door. Continue to remove the door seal, and while doing so, note which side of the door seal is facing outwards because you have to replace it the same way.
- Completely remove the upper and also lower side of the door seal.
- After removing the seal, you can see the chamber accumulated with dirt and greasy materials. Take the cotton cloth and the detergent water to wipe out all the debris.
- Let the chamber dry for at least 30 minutes.
- Now take the new door seal out of the package. It will probably be greased, and you must use a blow dryer or a heat gun to warm the door seal to remove it. Doing this will remove all the excess grease stuck around it.
- Now you must push the door seal’s center point into the chamber. Find the center point of the door seal by folding it equally on both sides.
- Keep pushing the door seal across both sides of the chamber. Don’t stretch the door seal while fixing it across the sides.
- After fixing the door seal, shut the door to check the alignment. If you notice a misalignment, remove it and fix it back.
3. Faulty door latch
The door latch is the watertight seal that keeps the door seal secured with the door.
If the door latch is faulty, it will not let the door seal function properly.
If you shut off the door hazardously, it will cause the door latch to misalign, causing the sensor to malfunction.
If you see your dishwasher quieter than normal, or when the door seal seems loosened, it may be due to the faulty door latch.
You can tighten the latch with a screw drive or seek a professional’s help to fix the faulty door latch.
If it seems faulty, you must replace it.
Here is the step-by-step process for replacing the door latch:
- Start by shutting off the electricity and the water supply. You can disconnect the electricity by switching off the dishwasher’s circuit breaker. Double-check if the electricity is shut off by checking the control panel. You can’t activate it if the electricity is disconnected.
- To access the door latch, separate the outer from the inner door by unscrewing the Torx screws, which secure the inner door with the outer door.
- Now unscrew the last 3 screws by holding the outer panel in your hands to prevent it from falling off the door.
- Now you can keep the outer panel in a safe area where it will stay without damage.
- After this, you must cut off the control board’s wire harness connection.
- Now you can easily remove the inner panel of the dishwasher door to access the door latch.
- Now you have to remove the control panel from the place. Unscrew the screws you will find at the corner of the door latch securing the control panel.
- Take off the control panel to keep that in a secured place.
- You can see the door latch clearly after removing the control panel.
- Before disconnecting the faulty door latch, capture a picture of it with your mobile to note how wires are connected.
- Now you can remove the door latch assembly by disconnecting the switch wire harness from the assembly.
- You can find locking tabs securing the door latch. Pull the door latch out by releasing the tabs. Keep the screwdrivers handy while disconnecting the door latch from the door’s inner panel.
- Take the new door latch and while installing, refer to the picture you took to make the process successful.
- Attach the new door latch by following the right wire connections and locking the tab.
- Now secure the control panel with the screws you removed earlier and now connect the wire harness back.
- Now connect the outer panel and the inner panel back to the dishwasher.
- Turn on the electricity. Check if the door latch is securing the door.
If this faulty door latch is causing the door seal to come off, replacing the new door latch will solve the issue.
4. Loosened door spring
You can see two springs attached to the door to make the opening and closing of the door easy.
Due to the frequent opening and closing of the door, springs may wear out, causing the door latch to malfunction.
This, in turn, will pose a reason for the door seal coming off the door.
If you found even one spring to be damaged, it is best to replace both springs to align the opening and closing of the doors.
Follow this step-by-step process to replace the door spring:
- As usual, begin shutting off the electricity by switching off the circuit breaker. Disconnect the water supply, but flip the water supply valve off.
- As a next step, you must remove the front and bottom panels. Keep a screwdriver handy to remove the panels from the dishwashers.
- Locate the door spring at the edge of the doors. Look at the spring’s position because you have to install the new spring in the same position.
- You can see that the spring is attached to the rear bracket. Remove the spring from the rear bracket using pliers.
- Still, the spring will be attached to the door hinge. Detach the door spring from the hinge.
- Now it’s time to attach the new spring. Connect the new spring to the door the same way the springs were attached earlier.
- Reinstall the front and the bottom panel back to the dishwasher by securing them with the screws.
- Turn on the water supply valve and switch on the circuit breaker to supply the electricity.
If this is causing the issue of the seal coming off, fixing the door spring will resolve the issue.
The door seal, latch, and spring works together to secure the door with the dishwasher during the wash and rinse cycle.
If you notice your door seal coming off, there are also chances of a malfunctioning latch or spring causing it.
Follow the above steps to find a cause and take actions to fix the issue.
Can I replace the seal on my dishwasher?
The average lifespan of the dishwasher is 10 years.
Over the years, the door seal may wear out or get damaged by the frequent loading of dishes.
In such cases, you can replace the door seal of your dishwasher by following the steps I mentioned earlier.
How do I know if the dishwasher seal is damaged?
You can conclude that your dishwasher’s seal is damaged if you observe the following signs.
If your kitchen is constantly flooded with water on the floor, it is a sign of a faulty door seal.
If the door seal is not watertight, water will start leaking from the front door during the wash cycle.
It may be due to the dirt and the debris accumulation or may be due to the faulty door latch or the door spring.
It will also happen due to the cracked or damaged door seal.
Leakage of water is something that happens at the worst stage of the door seal damage.
In the initial stage, during the wash or the rinse cycle, you can see streams escaping out of the dishwasher.
It is best to fix the issue at this stage before water floods your kitchen.
How much does it cost to fix a leaky dishwasher?
The expense of fixing the leaky dishwasher depends on the issue.
If your door seal is damaged, causing the leak, you have to replace the door seal.
It will cost you around $15.
The average cost to fix a leaky dishwasher is $100-300.
If your dishwasher door seal is coming off, analyze the causes listed in the article and follow the steps to fix the issue. If the seal is damaged completely, it is best to replace it permanently instead of trying to repair it.
If your door seal is not damaged and hardened due to dirt accumulation, the issue may be due to the faulty door latch and the door spring. Locate the door latch and the spring to replace them by following the step-by-step process mentioned in the article.
Reference: Home Plumbing CDC guidelines, Amana Official Troubleshooting, LG Official Manual, Whirlpool Dishwasher manual, Bosch Dishwasher troubleshooting.