Several steps include programming a Defiant electronic deadbolt, like adding or changing master and user codes, enabling auto-lock, vacation modes, etc. Resetting can delete all these codes. But why and how resetting is done?
To reset a Defiant electronic deadbolt, remove the battery cover and locate the reset button. Press and hold the button for several seconds until the lock beeps and the LED light flashes. Release the button and test the lock to ensure that it has been reset.
There is a lot more to know about resetting the Defiant electronic deadbolt. This guide can help you know the reasons, the proper steps to do it, and troubleshoot common issues while resetting the deadbolt.
Check out our list of top-handpicked products for all your electrical, appliance, and HVAC system needs to keep your home running smoothly.This post includes some affiliate links.
Understanding the reasons why you may need to reset the electronic deadbolts
With time, technologies are improving, and people are happily accepting them.
That is why electronic deadbolts have become famous.
People are upgrading their locks from traditional to electronic deadbolts and smart locks.
But these electronic deadbolts also have a few issues that sometimes need resetting.
Before you factory reset your Defiant lock, it is important to try other troubleshooting steps.
If those do not work, you jump to resetting the lock.
In this section, we will understand the reasons behind the resetting of the electronic deadbolts:
The defiant electronic deadbolt is not responding
One common reason behind the electronic deadbolt not responding could be dead batteries or wire not appropriately connected to the connector port.
A constant flash or beeping sound will occur when the batteries are low. It is better to change the batteries before they are dead.
But if everything is fine in your lock, there might be some other minor technical issues. You can fix it by simply resetting the Defiant deadbolt.
The master lock does not change
When you start programming the Defiant lock, you begin with the Master code. It is the main code that allows you to enter the house.
Without a master code, you cannot reach the user code part or enter the house.
The default Master code of the Defiant electronic deadbolt is always 123456.
You should change it so others cannot enter your house when you program it.
But a problem occurs when your Master code does not work.
It means the door still opens with the old code, not the new one.
If that happens, factory reset the Defiant lock without programming and reprogram all the codes.
The defiant lock cannot lock or unlock
The common reason is that you must not have entered the correct code, the battery is low, or the cable needs to be firmly connected to the port.
Sometimes, you will see that the red indicator light keeps on when the lock does not work.
Try checking the batteries and the wire connection once.
If everything is fine, the SET button might have been jammed.
Reset your Defiant lock and start everything from the beginning.
The defiant lock cannot add or delete the user codes
The problem is similar to the Master code. If any button gets stuck, the lock refuses to add or delete any codes.
Besides, there might be other problems like:
- Wong programming
- Too late in programming for which the lock timeout occurs.
- You have used 10 user codes; no extra code is left to add.
Check these first. If these are not the issues, reset your lock.
Resetting the Defiant electronic deadbolt
When you reset the Defiant electronic deadbolt, you bring the lock back as it was when it was manufactured.
All the codes and other programming will get deleted.
You must set all the codes and modes anew to get the programming back.
Here is how you can reset a Defiant electronic deadbolt with a few simple steps:
- Open the door and remove the battery compartment’s cover. If your deadbolt has no battery cover, you can skip this part.
- Now, remove one battery from the compartment. You do not have to remove all; one will work. You can skip this part if your deadbolt does not work with a battery.
- Press and hold the LOCK button until the lights flash twice or the entry code displays on the screen. Replace the battery by holding the button.
- Within 10 seconds, you must press and hold the button again until you see the lights flashing or the entry code displaying.
- You have now successfully reset your Defiant electronic deadbolt.
There is another method:
- Remove the battery cover and one battery.
- Press and hold the SET button and replace the battery while holding it.
- Keep holding until you hear a long and a short beep.
- Release the button after you hear them both and enter the default master code 123456 and complete the factory reset process.
Restoring the factory setting will erase all the existing codes and modes.
You must reprogram the lock, add new codes, and apply the auto-lock or vacation mode according to your need.
Reconfiguring the electronic deadbolt after a reset
Reconfiguring the electronic deadbolt involves adding the master code, the user codes, and the auto locks.
You can enable the vacation mode and disable the beeping sound for extra safety.
Let’s discuss the code reconfigurations one by one for basic functioning:
Adding new Master code
To apply the master code after resetting:
- Press and hold the SET button until you hear a beeping sound. The SET button will be located above the Interior Thumbturn.
- Release the button and enter the Master code.
- Again press the LOCK button.
- Press 1 and 0, and then the LOCK button.
- Enter the new 6-digit Master code and then the LOCK button.
Adding new User codes
Besides the Master code, you need another User code for an individual. For that:
- Press and hold the SET button until the beeping sound.
- Release the button, enter the current Master code, and press the LOCK button.
- Press 2 and 0, and then the LOCK button.
- Enter the new 4-6 digit code and press the LOCK button.
You can repeat this process to set up to 10 codes.
Turning on the Auto-lock mode
The auto-lock feature automatically locks your door after a few seconds if you keep the door ajar and not locked.
You can select a time limit anywhere between 10 and 99 seconds. After the timeout, the door will automatically lock.
Follow the steps below to enable this:
- Press and hold the SET button until you hear the beep sound.
- Release the button, enter the Master code, and press the LOCK button.
- Press 8 and 0, and again press the LOCK button.
- Press 1 and the LOCK button and turn on the auto-lock function.
This process will lock your door after 10 seconds automatically. To increase the timing:
- Repeat the first two steps.
- Press 7 and 0 and then the LOCK button.
- Enter the preferred timing.
- Press the LOCK button and complete the process.
There is another method if your lock does not have any beeping sound. Here you need to rely on the light flashes:
- Press and hold the LOCK button until you see the light right around the button.
- Enter your User code and wait 30 seconds for the lock to enter the programming mode.
- If the lock ring blinks red slowly every 5 seconds, it is ready for new settings.
- Press the MENU and then the AUTO-LOCK option to enable it or AUTO-LOCK off to disable it.
- Press any button on either side of the deadbolt and not the LOCK. When the light ring blinks yellow once and turns green, you have successfully enabled the Auto-lock option.
You can also follow this even if you have a beeping sound.
To disable the beeping sound:
- Press and hold the SET button and release it after a beep.
- Enter the Master code and press the LOCK button.
- Click 6 and 0, and then again press the LOCK button.
- Press 0 and press the LOCK button to turn off the beep.
- Make sure your lock is unlocked.
- Press 1 for 3 seconds, 0 for 3 seconds, and again 1 for 3 seconds.
- You will no longer hear the beeping sound.
It is occasional.
If the lock created issues when you were leaving for a vacation, and the mode was on, you have to turn that on again:
- Press and hold the SET button until you hear the beeping sound, then release it.
- Enter the Master code and press the LOCK button.
- Press 5 and 0, and again press the LOCK button.
- Now, press 1 and again the LOCK button to turn on the Vacation mode.
Troubleshooting common issues with resetting the electronic deadbolts
When resetting the deadbolt, you may encounter mechanical or other issues, such as dead batteries, the lock not working, or a jammed lock.
Thankfully, there are ways to fix these issues and below are some of them:
Dead batteries are one of the most common methods that create issues during resetting.
These electronic deadbolts work with four AA alkaline batteries.
No matter how many times you try to reset it, the lock won’t reset if the batteries are low or dead.
To troubleshoot the problem, replace the old batteries.
You can prevent this when you receive the lock signalling about the dead batteries. It will constantly beep or blink the red light.
Programming errors can also create issues when you try to reset the lock.
Even after a successful reset, you will have issues.
Check the manual once for correct programming and ensure you follow each step accurately.
If not, you have to reset the lock again and again.
A jammed lock or a jammed button in the lock can disturb you from proper lock resetting.
The problem with the lock occurs when you do not connect the lock and align it correctly with the other assembly via the metal blade.
You may have to open the lock again, check the alignment, connect it with screws, and reset the programming.
Damaged or corroded parts
The contacts between the battery and the deadbolt can become dirty over time, or corrode due to the moisture, especially when it contacts the rainwater.
If that happens, resetting will not help.
Clean the deadbolts properly and reset them again.
Call a professional to ask what should be done if there is corrosion.
You cannot program the lock properly if your electronic deadbolt has mechanical errors or manufacturing defects.
Even if you manage to program it, you have to reset it multiple times, and still, you will end up with the same old issues.
Call a professional to ask whether you need to replace or repair it in such a condition.
Resetting the electronic deadbolt in different models
The resetting method of the electronic deadbolts will differ based on the brand and model.
Besides Defiant, other models available are Garrison, AmazonBasics, Honeywell digitals, Tru-Bolt, and various others.
This section discusses the resetting methods for 6 types of electronic deadbolts besides Defiant.
If you have any from the list, you can follow this article to reset them. Let’s begin:
Garrison Round Electronic deadbolts
- On the interior assembly of the electronic deadbolt, insert a pin into the hole below the turn-piece for 5 seconds. It will let you reach the RESET button.
- Wait until you hear 3 long beeping sounds.
- The beeping sound indicates you have successfully reset your Garrison round deadbolt.
Tru-bolt electronic deadbolt
- Remove the battery cover and one battery.
- Wait for 10 seconds, and put the battery back in place.
- You will hear a long and a short beep.
- Press the LOCK button thrice within 3 seconds.
- When the lock beeps for once and the green indicator light flashes, you have successfully reset your deadbolt.
AmazonBasics electronic deadbolt
- Remove the battery cover and locate and press the RESET button. It will be a round button labelled R.
- Hold the button for 6 seconds until you hear 3 beeping sounds.
- The 3 long beeping sounds will show that you have successfully reset your lock.
- Now, perform the door handing identification to ensure optimal operation.
Toledo electronic deadbolt
- Remove the battery cover and find the RESET button. It will be a black circle button with an R label.
- Press and hold the button for 5 seconds until you hear 3 beeps.
- After that, release the button. You have successfully reset your lock.
Gatehouse Electronic lock
- Remove the battery cover and one battery from the compartment on the interior assembly.
- Press and hold the SET button. It is a small circuit inside the assembly.
- While holding the button, put the battery in place and release it.
- When the green LED lights up, you have successfully reset the lock.
Honeywell digital electronic deadbolt
- Remove the battery cover and one battery and wait for 10 seconds.
- Put in the battery and wait for a long and a short beep.
- After hearing the beeps, press the LOCK button thrice within 3 seconds.
- When the lock beeps, the indicator will light up green. It means you have reset it to the factory settings.
Resetting the electronic deadbolts with low battery or power failure
Your Defiant electronic deadbolt may be unable to reset when it runs on a low battery.
However, you can reset the deadbolt if the battery is not very low. There are low chances, though.
If it does not respond, consider changing the battery and then factory reset again.
In most cases, the deadbolts refuse to respond with low batteries.
You can understand the low battery issue when the lock constantly beeps or flashes a red light.
As for the power outage, the electronic deadbolts will work.
Many people have a misconception that since these are electronic deadbolts, they won’t work during a power failure.
But that is not true.
These deadbolts primarily run on batteries. So, they will respond even during a power outage, not when the battery is low.
Also, many of these electronic deadbolts have a backlit that allows you to see the keypad and lock or unlock it during a power failure.
Only those running on electricity will not work during a power outage.
Restoring connectivity for the electronic deadbolts with smart home systems
When resetting your Defiant electronic deadbolt, it returns to a new-manufactured lock.
So if you have reset your Smart Wi-Fi Defiant Deadbolt, you need to connect it again with your house’s Wi-Fi, mobile phone apps, and other smart devices like Alexa and Google Assistant anew.
Here are the steps for connection:
- Download the Hubspace app.
- Click on the plus icon in the upper right corner.
- Select the ADD PRODUCT option and use the camera to scan the QR code of the interior assembly.
- The lock will appear in the app and the smart system device list.
- Your phone must also have the Alexa and Google Assistant apps to connect the lock.
- You will find the DEFIANT device name in the list when you open them. Either scan the QR code or add the device’s serial number.
- Give your lock a name and a location.
The Wi-Fi lock comes with an intelligent hub plug.
You need to use the plug to restore the Wi-Fi connectivity with the lock.
You can even use it wireless with Bluetooth, but it does not travel as far as the Wi-Fi connection.
So, follow the following steps to connect it to the Wi-Fi:
- Confirm the app prompts and add the connection gateway.
- Use the camera to scan the QR code of the smart plug.
- The plug will show up in the app and the smart device list.
- Connect the plug to the outlet and give the lock a name and location.
- Click on the CONNECT option and finish restoring the connectivity.
Tips and best practices for resetting the electronic deadbolts
If you have gone through the resetting steps, you will understand that resetting a Defiant electronic deadbolt is easy.
Not only for Defiant, resetting electronic deadbolts of any brand is quite simple.
Following the manual and asking for the manufacturer’s guidance would be easier.
So, it rarely needs any tips or best practices. Following the process correctly is the only tip and best practice I recommend while resetting.
However, if you are a beginner, I would like to suggest some advice to make it easier for you:
- Check the battery level before you reset. Without low batteries, there are high chances your resetting will fail. Since the deadbolts work by batteries, you must have enough battery level for resetting because, after the reset, you have a lot of work to do.
- Sometimes when resetting doesn’t work, you might have to dismantle the interior and exterior assemblies to check whether all the connections are correctly made. In that case, ensure you have the right tools, like the screws and the screwdriver. Do not lose any screws.
- Removing only 1-2 batteries would be enough for resetting. You do not have to remove all the four batteries.
- Follow the manufacturer’s manual for better guidance. It helps you with the steps and guides you to maintain the sequence of every step.
- Test the deadbolt once. After reconfiguring and restoring the connectivities, try to lock and unlock the door 1-2 times to see if it works.
- If you are not confident enough, consider hiring a professional for help.
You do not always need to reset the lock during any problem. In most cases, changing the batteries and connecting the lock wire correctly to the connector port solves maximum issues. But if the problem persists, consider a factory reset.
When resetting the lock, remember that it becomes entirely new, like the newly manufactured one. So, all the previously used codes and modes will get erased. You have to set all the features you had before, adding master and user codes, auto-locks, no beeps, and vacation mode.
The resetting steps will differ based on the different models and brands. However, if you have read the steps, you will see that most models are more or less the same steps and are very easy. You must also restore all the connectivity to the house’s smart systems and mobile apps.
How do I lock or unlock the Defiant electronic deadbolt with the keypad?
To lock the deadbolt, press the LOCK button. And to unlock, enter the Master code or the User code.
Does the Defiant electronic deadbolt have an alarm?
The defiant electronic deadbolt has an in-built alarm. It rings when someone tries to forcibly open the locked door without applying any codes. Based on your preference, it will have three sounds – low, medium, and high.
Reference: Electronic deadbolts Wikipedia