An ice maker not making ice is trouble, especially when you need the cubes; I mean summer! If your ice maker is not making ice, you are at the right place.
Generally, an ice maker will not make ice when the water inlet is not working properly. It might be due to a clogged water filter or faulty water inlet valve. To fix the issue, replace or unclog the dirt accumulation in the water filter and replace the inlet valve.
In this article, I will help you understand the root cause behind why your ice maker is not producing ice. You will also find the step-by-step process to fix the issue. So, keep reading.
Why is my ice maker not making ice? (+Fix)
It will be frustrating to deal with an ice maker not making ice when you crave any cold beverage badly.
In mid-summer last year, it felt terrible when my ice maker stopped producing ice when I came home from the burning sun outside.
I consulted various professionals and got to learn about the common causes.
I tried and tested them until I finally fixed my ice maker.
So, here are the common reasons why your ice maker might not be making ice.
1. Blocked water filter
Water filters are built-in with refrigerators and ice makers to filter the dirt and bad odor.
It also filters the contaminants from the water coming from the public water supply.
In the long run, water filters may get clogged due to the over-accumulation of dirt.
So it is necessary to change or replace it at least twice a year.
If the clog occurs in the water filter, it won’t send enough water to make ice.
It might be why your ice maker is not making ice.
But, you can solve this issue by replacing the water filter.
Here is how you can replace the water filter of your ice maker:
- Disconnect the power cord from the electric outlet.
- Pull your refrigerator away from the wall to access the water filters.
- Locate the valve which supplies water to the ice maker.
- Please turn it off to stop the water flow to the ice maker to avoid the mess.
- Access the filter mounted on the wall. Disconnect the filter from its holder.
- Generally, the water filter will be connected to the water supply lines by two means. One is through brass connectors, and the other is through quick connectors. The way you should disconnect will differ based on the connectors.
- If your supply line is connected through the brass connectors, you must keep the pliers handy to lose the connectors found at each end of the water filters.
- If your supply line is connected with quick connectors, you must disconnect the rings surrounding the plastic supply lines.
- Disconnect the threads and the thread sealants from the water filter.
- Disconnect all the fittings from the water filter.
- Cover the thread of the filter with seal tape.
- Now attach the fitting with the new water filter.
- If your water filter is connected to the quick connector, use a pipe cutter to cut the plastic tube from the end of the water filter.
- Now connect the supply line to the valve of the new water filter.
- Attach all the connections with the new water filter.
- Reattach the filter with the hold. Connect the supply line of the water filter with the refrigerator.
- Connect the water supply back to the refrigerator.
- Connect the refrigerator with the electric outlet. Turn on the electricity.
Get the water filter for your refrigerator on Amazon: Whirlpool, GE, Frigidaire, LG, SAMSUNG, Κеnmore.
2. Malfunctioning water inlet valve
You can locate the water inlet valve at the bottom of the refrigerator.
The refrigerator’s water supply line is connected to the water inlet valve.
These water supply lines transfer the electric signal to the water inlet valve when there is a water requirement within the ice maker to refill the ice molds.
If the defective water inlet valve, it won’t open and closes to fill the water.
In this case, you have to replace the water inlet valve.
Follow this step-by-step process to replace the water inlet valve.
- Disconnect the electricity from the refrigerator by pulling the electric socket from the electric outlet. Pull the refrigerator away from the wall to access the back panel of the refrigerator.
- As a next step, locate the water supply valve and disconnect it from the refrigerator to cut off the water supply. It would be best if you turned the valve clockwise to turn it off.
- Disconnect the water line connected to the refrigerator using a wrench to loosen the bolt securing the water line with the refrigerator.
- Access the lower panel of the refrigerator. Use a screwdriver to remove the nut securing the lower panel with the refrigerator. After removing the panel, you can access the water inlet valve.
- Now, unscrew the nut securing the water inlet brackets and the water inlet valve with the refrigerator. Disconnect the water inlet valve from the refrigerator to locate the wire connections.
- After detaching the water inlet valve, disconnect the wire harness. Wire harnesses are of different sizes. While reconnecting, you have to make the right connections.
- You can now install the new water inlet valve by connecting the water supply line to the new water inlet valve. Connect back the wire harness to the water inlet valve.
- Secure the refrigerator’s water inlet valve and brackets by screwing the nut you removed.
- Reattach the back panel to the refrigerator by securing it with the screws you removed.
- Connect the water supply, plug in the refrigerator, and turn on the electricity after moving it to its original position.
3. The freezer is too warm
Check the freezer’s temperature if your ice maker is not making ice.
If the freezer temperature is high, it will not produce perfect ice cubes, and sometimes it will not produce ice.
It would be best to alter your refrigerator’s temperature to get your ice maker back to produce ice.
Start by checking the temperature of the refrigerator and the freezer.
You must set the temperature at -0.4 degrees Fahrenheit for your freezer.
4. Control arm misaligned
A control arm is a metal handle that you can find hanging at the side of the ice bin.
The control arm detects the level of ice cubes filled in the ice bin.
It transfers the signal to the water supply lines to stop the ice production when the ice bin is full.
A damaged control arm will lead to less or no ice production.
Access the ice bin, and check if the control arm is loosened.
You can tighten it if it is off position.
If the control arm is completely broken, you must replace it.
Follow the step-by-step process to replace the control arm:
- Start by turning off the electric supply to the refrigerator.
- Separate the ice maker bin and keep it aside.
- Keep a screwdriver handy to remove the side cover of the ice maker by taking off the screws.
- Pull the ice maker assembly by disconnecting the wire harness.
- Take the ice maker assembly into a comfortable place, and you can access the control arm once you separate the ice maker assembly.
- Remove the faulty control arm by first detaching it from one side and then pulling the control arm against the other end to remove it completely from the ice maker assembly.
- The new control arm is transferred to the control arm extension plate. Now attach the new arm to the ice maker assembly.
- After installing the new control arm, reattach the ice maker assembly into the icemaker housing.
- Reconnect the wire harness with the ice maker assembly.
- Now push back the assembly into its original place.
- Attach back the side cover you initially removed. Secure it with the screws.
- Finally, reattach the ice bin into its place.
- Plug in the refrigerator, and check if the issue is solved after a few hours.
5. Ice ejector assembly
If you still couldn’t solve the issue, it may be due to a faulty ice ejector assembly.
Ice elector works as an opening to make the ice travel to the base of the chute.
If the ice ejector doesn’t open, ice will not fall down the chute, leaving you void of ice cubes at the end.
Inspect if there is no frozen barrier blocking the flow of ice.
If the ice ejector is damaged, you must replace the faulty parts or an entire assembly.
Here is how you can replace the ice ejector assembly:
- Start the repair by disconnecting the electric supply from the refrigerator.
- Detach the ice bin from the housing.
- Remove the side access panel by removing the screws securing the panel with the ice maker assembly.
- Remove the ice maker brackets by unscrewing the bolts that are securing them.
- Now you can easily pull the ice maker assembly out of the housing.
- You can find the fuse attached to the clip, separate the thermal fuse and keep it aside.
- Disconnect the wire harness to lift the ice maker assembly to keep it in a safe place.
- Now disconnect the control arm to detach the control module.
- Now you can access the ice ejector assembly.
- Disconnect the faulty elector and install the new one.
- After installing the ice ejector, place the control module back into the position and secure it with the screws.
- Reattach the ice maker assembly back into the housing unit.
- Reconnect the detached wire harness back.
- Reattach the side access panel and secure it with screws.
- Place the ice bin and close the door of the refrigerator.
- Plug in the refrigerator and check if the ice maker is working properly.
How do I know if my icemaker is working?
You can check if your ice maker is working by doing this.
Check if the ice molds in your ice maker are empty.
Manually fill the mold with water.
After filling the water, wait for 3 hours.
At the end of 3 hours, if you can find the ice molds flipping ice cubes, you can confirm that your ice maker is working well.
How much does it cost to fix an ice maker?
Fixing the faulty ice maker ranges from $150 to $ 250.
The exact cost depends on the fault of your ice maker.
The lowest repair cost of an ice maker is $75 to fix the faulty valve.
If you want to replace the faulty motor of the ice maker, then the cost will go up to $400.
Does turning off water affect an ice maker?
When the water supply is turned off, an ice maker can’t make ice cubes.
Turning off the water will affect the ice maker and will also cause damage to the internal parts of the ice maker.
So, the ice maker is on, don’t turn off the water supply.
However, you can turn off the water supply without using the ice maker or refrigerator.
Is it okay to leave an ice maker on all the time?
If you are a person who requires ice cubes all day long, then you can leave it plugged and running.
Or else, you can turn it on when you need ice cubes.
Significantly, if you are moving for a vacation for a longer period, then you should turn off the ice maker before you leave.
How to reset an icemaker?
You can reset your ice maker or refrigerator if you see a malfunction.
Again, you don’t have to reset your ice maker often.
Do it only when your ice maker stops producing ice.
You can easily reset the refrigerator by following the simple steps given below:
- Locate the ice maker assembly.
- You can locate the rectangular-shaped test button on the side or bottom, depending on the model of your refrigerator.
- Press the test button and hold it longer, up to 10 seconds, or till you hear the sharp sound.
When your ice maker is not making ice, it may be due to the causes mentioned in the article. Analyze the cause and follow the step-by-step process mentioned in the article to fix the issue.
Most of the time, you don’t need to replace your entire ice maker assembly. You have to fix the fault by replacing or repairing a malfunctioning part to make it produce ice again.