We all love our morning brews, and all thanks to our Keurig, we can get our perfect morning brews on time. However, some problems are common in Keurig, and one issue that many have reported is that their Keurig doesn’t work and flashes all the lights.
If all lights are on in your Keurig and it doesn’t work, it indicates a problem with the needle or water filter. If these are clogged, the Keurig won’t function right, so consider regular cleaning of the same. A misplaced charcoal filter can also result in the blinking of all lights.
In this article, I will discuss why your Keurig doesn’t work and keeps all the lights on. So, keep reading.
Check out our list of top-handpicked products for all your electrical, appliance, and HVAC system needs to keep your home running smoothly.This post includes some affiliate links.
Why is my Keurig not working, but all lights are on? (+Fix)
I have been a Keurig user for years, and I encountered this issue where my Keurig stopped working and kept all the lights on.
I understood that there was some issue with the machine.
I usually don’t call professionals unless I can’t fix the issue myself.
So, I did some digging and found that the needles were causing this problem.
But there might be other issues that can cause this problem, so I will mention them all in this article to make it easier for you.
1. Clogged needles
Let’s start with the issue I faced with my Keurig: clogged needles.
Over time, coffee grounds and dirt collect over the needles and clog them.
All the lights of my Keurig turned on, but the machine didn’t work.
If you doubt this with your Keurig, you need to check the needles and clean them if you find them dirty.
Follow these steps to do so:
- First, turn off your Keurig and unplug it from the power source.
- Next, separate the water tank from the machine.
- Next, open your Keurig’s head and take the K-cup holder out of it.
- You will now see the needles.
- Take a paper clip and straighten one end of it. Clean the needles with the help of that end. Do it with the top needles too.
- Now, wash the K-cup holder with water.
- Once these are done, compile the machine back and plug it in.
If this was the issue, your Keurig should stop blinking lights and start working.
If not, check the next reasons.
2. Clogged water filters
If the water filters of your Keurig machine are clogged, it can flash all the lights and not function.
You would need to clean the water filters to fix the issue.
And here is how you can do it:
- Unplug your Keurig and separate the water reservoir from it.
- Clean the valves if you find any clogs in them. The valves are located at the bottom of the Keurig.
- Add water to the reservoir and start a water-only brew in a cup. Make sure the size of the brew is 6 ounces. And if that is what you get at the end of the cycle, you can use your Keurig.
- If you do not get 6 ounces, take the charcoal filters out of the appliance.
- Start the 6-ounce brew cycle again.
- If you do not get the correct amount of water in the cup, run the brewing cycle thrice again.
- If you get the correct measurement of water at the end of the cycle, replace the filters, as there must be some problems with them.
3. Misplaced charcoal filter
Another reason behind your Keurig not working while all its lights are on might be that the charcoal filters are misplaced.
I already mentioned charcoal filters in the previous point.
They are located in the water reservoir of your Keurig.
The charcoal filter can influence the water flow inside the appliance.
These can get misplaced due to water pressure or any other reason.
If the filters are misplaced, and you try to use your Keurig in such conditions, all the lights will turn on to indicate the error.
Here is how you can fix the misplaced charcoal filters:
- Unplug your Keurig or turn it off.
- Now, remove the water reservoir from it.
- You can access the charcoal filters inside the water reservoir.
- Place the filters correctly in the holder.
- Place everything back in their places and turn the Keurig on.
The lights should turn off, and the Keurig should start functioning if this is the issue.
4. Accumulation of moisture
Sometimes, allowing your Keurig to rest for a few weeks can help you fix this issue.
If you leave water in the water reservoir, which is not recommended, moisture can accumulate inside the Keurig and make it malfunction.
If you’ve tried everything and nothing seems to be working, clean it and let it rest for 3-4 weeks.
Moisture accumulation can prevent your Keurig from working, and allowing it to rest and dry up can fix the issue.
Try using the Keurig after this and see if it works.
How to reset the Keurig?
Sometimes, resetting the Keurig is a good idea, and it can help you solve many issues that cause the lights to stay on and prevent the machine from working.
Here are the steps with which you can reset your Keurig:
- Use the power button to turn off the Keurig.
- Unplug the appliance and let it rest for some minutes.
- Take the water reservoir out of the appliance.
- Plug it back and let it rest for a few minutes.
- Turn the machine on.
- Connect the water reservoir back to your Keurig.
- Open the K-cup holder and close it.
Your Keurig should get reset successfully after these steps.
Tips on Keurig maintenance
Every appliance needs maintenance, and the right care and maintenance can prevent many issues and increase the appliance’s longevity.
Here are some tips on using your Keurig correctly:
1. Avoid brewing large cups
I know you would say that if the machine allows us to brew large cups, why not?
Research has shown that brewing smaller cups not only gives you better flavor but also is better for the appliance.
When you brew larger cups, it only dilutes the coffee, making it weak.
And I am sure you wouldn’t want that.
So, it is best to go for 6-ounce cups instead of 8 or 10.
2. Do not overfill
Avoid overloading the pods with too many coffee grounds.
You already read that clogged water filters and needles cause issues within your Keurig.
And using excess coffee grounds contributes as it clogs these parts of your Keurig.
And if you want to enjoy strong coffee, brew 2 cups instead of overfilling the pods with excess coffee grounds.
Fill until the required level to enjoy your coffee without harming the machine.
3. Use the right ground
If you use the wrong ground, it will not be right for your Keurig.
Medium coarse ground coffee is best for your Keurig, whereas too coarse coffee grounds will make the brew watery, and too fine coffee grounds will make it thick.
So, always use the right ground of coffee.
4. Do not keep water in the reservoir
You should always remove all the water from the reservoir after every use and not store water in it.
If you store water in your Keurig for too long, the moisture will cause problems, as I mentioned earlier.
I know how frustrating it feels not to have your Keurig function properly with all lights on when you need your first-morning brew. I have been there, and I have effectively fixed the issue.
If your Keurig water filters or needles are clogged, you can face this issue. Disassemble the Keurig and clean these parts. Another reason might be that the charcoal filters are misplaced. You will need to place them correctly and then check your Keurig.
If nothing seems to be working, you can give it some rest to the appliance or try resetting it. If you cannot fix the issue yourself, consider seeking professional help. Once you fix the issue, ensure you use and maintain your Keurig correctly to avoid further issues.
- 5 Reasons Your Keurig Keeps Shutting Off (+Fix)
- 8 Reasons Your Keurig Is Flashing Lights (+Fix)
- How Do You Fix A Keurig That Won’t Brew A Full Cup?
How long does a Keurig last?
The longevity of your Keurig will depend on various factors like how often you use it, whether you maintain it and clean it properly, and the model. On average, a Keurig machine can last 5-10 years.
Can you run vinegar through a Keurig to descale it?
You can use water and add white vinegar to it. Make sure to add equal parts. Fill the reservoir with it to descale it.
Will Keurig replace my broken machine?
Yes. Keurig will replace your broken machine if you can show proof of purchase and if you reside in the United States or Canada.
Reference: Keurig Official Manual.