No one can deny how convenient dishwashers are and make kitchen activities easy and hassle-free. However, it is also prone to faults. If your dishwasher constantly displays the cl code on the control board, I’ll help you fix it.
The Cl code in the LG dishwasher indicates that the child lock is activated. You can fix this by resetting your LG dishwasher. A faulty control panel can also cause this problem, so you must replace the control panel if needed. To turn off the child lock, press the child lock button for 3 seconds.
In this article, I will help you understand the common cause behind the cl code and fix this issue in your LG dishwasher. So, keep reading.
Check out our list of top-handpicked products for all your electrical, appliance, and HVAC system needs to keep your home running smoothly.This post includes some affiliate links.
What does the cl code on the dishwasher mean?
I remember seeing the cl code on my dishwasher amidst the wash cycle.
I was confused about what to do next and was unaware of why my dishwasher displayed the cl code on the control panel when I did not turn it on.
I tried to switch it off, but my efforts ended in vain as I was not equipped with the right knowledge to fix the issue.
Ultimately, called the LG support team and was stunned at how simple it was to fix the issue.
So now, I am well equipped with the knowledge of why cl code occurs and how to fix it.
Since I don’t want you to experience this situation, I decided to share everything I learned from the experience and the professional I hired.
So, let’s begin with understanding what the cl code in the dishwasher indicates.
Cl means child lock for household equipment like dishwashers, washing machines, and dryers.
Cl code in the dishwasher indicates that someone has switched on the child lock button.
At times, a cl code will also appear in the dishwasher’s control panel due to some issues we will discuss later in this article.
Cl code is not an error code; instead, it is a functionality indication.
So, you don’t need to panic and read on to find out how you can fix this.
How do I know if the child lock is on?
It is common to wonder how you can know if the child lock is activated on your dishwasher.
You can easily check if the child lock is switched on by looking at the control board of your LG dishwasher.
A control board displaying a cl code when you try to press the buttons during the wash cycle indicates the activation of the child lock.
If the control board buttons do not respond during the wash cycle, you can confirm that the child lock is switched on.
In some models, the indication of child lock may differ.
In such cases, consider referring to the user manual.
As I mentioned, the cl code doesn’t indicate any error.
But if it frequently appears on the control board even when it is not manually switched on, it indicates an issue.
Purpose of the child lock in the LG dishwasher
Children are always curious about things.
Out of curiosity, they may reach out to the dishwasher and may press the button.
If a child accidentally presses the buttons during the wash cycle, the wash cycle will be interrupted.
There are chances of potential danger for a child because a dishwasher releases the hot stream inside it during the wash cycle.
If the child accidentally opens the door, they will get hurt severely.
The LG dishwasher comes with the child lock feature, which blocks all the buttons and locks the door while it is switched on to avoid these situations.
There is no one fixed method to switch on the child lock button, as it differs based on the model of your dishwasher.
If your LG dishwasher does have the child lock feature, consider referring to the user guide.
If you are using an old LG dishwasher model, you may not have the child lock feature.
But fortunately, all the new models of LG dishwashers come with the child lock feature.
The only difference is that some models have a separate button to switch on and off the child lock feature, while others don’t.
If you have a separate button for the child lock feature, long press it for 3 seconds to switch on the child lock feature.
Possible issues with the cl code in the LG dishwasher
As the cl code is not an error code, it poses an issue if you observe the following traits.
Suppose you notice the cl code appearing on the display of the control board immediately after the LG dishwasher is switched on.
It won’t let you set the washing cycle by blocking all the buttons on the control board.
In the worst case, the cl code might get activated in the middle of the washing cycle of your dishwasher.
Due to this, you might be unable to alter the settings in your dishwasher.
Or, you might have activated the child lock for the last cycle but now can’t disable it.
These are the possible issues you might be facing with your LG dishwasher.
How do I fix the cl code on my LG dishwasher?
If the cl code appears on the control board display frequently or if you turn on the cl lock but can’t turn it off, these are the issues you need to fix to enjoy the hassle-less dishwashing experience.
You can fix this by turning off the child lock.
If there is a separate button for the child lock feature, you can long press it for 3 seconds to switch it off.
Or you can press the rinse and spray button to switch it off.
If the cl code still appears on the control board after switching it off several times, it means the control panel is at fault.
You must access the control panel’s wire connections in such a case.
If you find it faulty, you need to replace the control panel.
Follow these steps to replace the control panel:
- Begin by disconnecting the electric supply to the dishwasher by turning off the breaker switch.
- Disconnect the water supply to the dishwasher by turning off the water supply valve.
- Open the dishwasher door using a screwdriver and remove the screws securing the outer panel with the dishwasher door.
- Remove the outlet panel from the door by disconnecting it from the slots and keeping it aside.
- Using the screwdriver, unscrew the screws securing the control board with the door.
- Disconnect the display board wire harness, the light board wire harness, and the power switch connector.
- Please take note of the orientation of the control board wires and disconnect them.
- Remove the wires from the tap securing it in the palace.
- Disconnect the control board from the dishwasher.
- Using the screwdriver, remove the screws securing the control panel with the control board.
- Disconnect the faulty control board from the dishwasher.
- Note the model number of your LG dishwasher and purchase the control panel which will suit your dishwasher. Consult the professional in case needed at this stage. Because the control panel differs with every model, you need to purchase the right one to use with the dishwasher.
- Prepare the new control board to attach the control board.
- Align the new control panel with the control board and secure it with the screws you removed initially.
- Reattach all the wires with the new control panel.
- Place the control panel in its position. And secure it with the screws.
- Reattach the outer door panel with the door. Align the slots of the outer door panel with the tabs in the door. Secure it with the Philip screws using a screwdriver.
- Finally, close the door. Connect the electric supply to your LG dishwasher.
Run the dishwasher.
Your issue must have been solved by the end of this procedure.
Where is the child lock button in the LG dishwasher?
As I mentioned earlier, the position of the child lock button will differ based on the model.
Only some LG dishwasher models have a separate button for the child lock feature.
But if your dishwasher comes with a button, you can easily find it in the control panel, which will read either a child lock or a control lock.
If you can’t find such a button in your LG dishwasher, don’t worry; you have another way to do it.
Locate the rinse and spray button on the control board.
These two buttons act as dual-zone buttons to switch the child lock feature on and off.
Sometimes, the position of this button changes according to the model of your LG dishwasher.
Consider referring to the user manual to understand the control panel of your LG dishwashers.
How do I get the child lock off my LG dishwasher?
Now you have a better understanding of the issue caused by the cl code.
It is the most useful feature you should use if you have children or age-old people in your house.
But what if you turned on the cl lock mistake and wanted to get off it to operate your dishwasher?
You have nothing to worry about; follow these steps to get rid of the child lock as soon as possible.
- Turn on the dishwasher. Make sure there is a continuous electrical supply to the dishwasher.
- Your LG dishwasher will have the child lock or the control lock button if you have the newer dishwasher model.
- Press the child lock button for 3 seconds. The child’s lock will turn off.
- The older LG dishwasher model won’t come with the child lock button. So you must press the rinse and spray button to turn off the child lock feature.
These simple steps will help you turn off the child lock feature if nothing is wrong with the control panel.
How do I get the child lock off my LG Inverter Direct Drive dishwasher?
The LG inverter direct drive dishwasher is quiet, reliable, and efficient.
Its advanced direct driver motor makes this dishwasher more efficient than a traditional dishwasher as it helps increase the dishwasher’s efficiency.
As an advanced dishwasher, it comes with the child button on the control panel, and you can easily get off the child lock by pressing child lock for 3 seconds.
You want to reset your dishwasher if it still displays a cl code.
When should you reset your dishwasher?
As I mentioned above, you should reset your dishwasher when the cl code keeps appearing in the control panel, even if you tried to switch it off.
Here is how you can reset your LG dishwasher:
- Turn off the dishwasher by switching off the power button.
- Completely turn off the dishwasher by turning off the breaker.
- Let it be switched off and wait for 10 to 20 seconds until you connect the dishwasher back to the electricity.
- Now press the power button to switch on the dishwasher. Begin the new cycle.
- The cl code will disappear after resetting the LG dishwasher in most cases.
A cl code does not always indicate an issue. Even if it is switched on, you can fix it in most cases by performing a simple reset in your dishwasher. Follow the steps I mentioned in the article to reset your LG dishwasher.
A faulty control board on the LG dishwasher can cause the cl code issue. In that case, check and replace it. I have mentioned the steps in the article. But before checking the control panel, ensure you have tried all the other methods we discussed.
As the method of switching on and off the child lock button varies on the dishwasher model, it is a must to refer to your LG dishwasher’s user manual to understand this.
- How Do You Cap Off A Dishwasher Drain Line?
- 10 Ways To Fix Dishwasher Leaking Into Basement
- Dishwasher Seal Keeps Coming Off: 4 Causes+Fix