Television is the best entertainment that brings the family together to spend quality time. But if your television turns on and off in such a situation, it completely ruins your mood. In this article, let’s understand common reasons and steps to fix a TV that turns on and off.
If your TV turns on and off, it could be due to overheating. Clean the vents of your tv. Another cause would be an outdated driver. Fix this issue by updating or reinstalling the latest driver. The remote might be faulty if everything is fine with your TV. In such a case, Change the batteries.
In this article, I will help you understand 8 reasons your TV turns on and off immediately. You will also know the steps to fix the issues. So, keep reading.
Why is my TV on and off immediately?
I know how frustrating it would feel when you have prepared your favorite snack and sat with your family to watch your favorite show on your tv, only to see it switching on and off automatically.
I encountered the same situation, and it completely ruined my day.
It is hard to confront such issues in smart tv, and I was scared of how much I would have to spend to fix this issue.
Are you feeling the same?
After discussing them with the professionals, I have fixed the issues with my TV.
In the process, I learned 8 common issues and steps to fix the issues, which you will find below.
If the issue is simple, you can fix it by yourself.
However, the complex repair would need professional help to fix the issue.
1. Overheating issues
If your television is switching on and off immediately, it may be due to overheating.
A television overheating may cause damage to the internal parts, and you may have to replace it completely.
So, the television automatically switches off to get rid of the malfunction.
When the television is switched on for a long period, it may begin to overheat.
Other causes include blocked or poor ventilation systems.
If your television is not getting enough ventilation, heating issues will occur.
Check if enough space is left to maintain good airflow to your television.
Lastly, check if you have unknowingly placed your TV in a hot environment, like in a fire or room with more sun exposure.
In such cases, you must replace your tv with another location where it will get enough ventilation.
Follow the steps below to troubleshoot the overheating tv:
1. Unclog the vents of your television
Your television has vent holes to regulate the flow of air.
If the vents are accumulated with dust and debris from the surrounding, it won’t let the airflow to the tv.
To fix this issue, you need to clean the vents of your tv.
Using a vacuum, remove the dust accumulation from the vents.
2. Check if your television is placed near the heat source
If your television is placed near the refrigerator or near the window where direct sunlight is passing on the tv, you must change its location to avoid heat production.
3. Check if there is enough ventilation
If the television is placed in a room with insufficient airflow, there are more chances of your tv getting heated.
To avoid heating issues, move your tv to a place with enough ventilation.
2. Power supply issues
Television needs a steady power supply like any other electrical appliance to function efficiently.
If your TV is switching on and off immediately, there may be issues with the power supply.
You must check if there is a loose connection in the electric outlet.
If there are such issues, you must try plugging the tv socket into the other electric outlet.
You can also plug other appliances into the electric outlet to check if that is causing the issue.
The loose wiring connection in the electric outlet may also cause the issue.
In such a case, you must hire a professional to fix the loose connection.
3. Internal memory is full
Most smart televisions nowadays don’t have high internal memory, and they are often filled by the cliche and unnecessary apps you installed on your television.
If the intel memory is full or affected by a virus, your television will turn on and off immediately.
To prevent this issue, you must reset your television.
Resetting your television will erase all the data from it, and if you have some important data stored in the television, you must back it up before resetting it.
Two types of reset options are available.
One is a power reset, and the other is a factory reset.
To power reset, follow the steps below:
- Unplug your tv from the electric outlet.
- Let the television stay disconnected from the power supply for 10 minutes.
- Plug in the television to the electric outlet after 10 minutes.
- Power on the tv and check if the issue is solved.
Power reset will clear the glitches, but it will not erase the data in your tv.
And also, it could be more efficient for solving complex issues.
In such a case, you must do a reset in the factory settings.
Follow the steps below to do a factory reset on your television:
- To factory reset your tv, you need the remote. Take your remote in hand and follow the instructions below.
- Locate the home option in the remove and press it. When you press the home option, you can see the menu on your smart tv.
- You can find the settings option in the menu bar on the left. Use the round button at the center of the remote control to select the setting option.
- After you press the setting options, the options bar appears on the TV. You can see the option “support.”
- Click on the support option by clicking the down arrow key in the central circular button on the remote.
- When you click the support option, a menu will appear with 5 options.
- Navigate to the device care option in the support menu. When you click the device care option, you will see a screen with three options.
- You can find a self-diagnosis option in the second place.
- Press it to run your tv to the diagnostic mode.
- After you press the self-diagnosis, you can see the reset option in the last column.
- Press the reset option, and a box will appear asking for the pin code. Enter the pin code “0000”. It is the default pin code you must enter into your tv.
- After entering the number, your tv will reset automatically.
After resetting your tv, switch it on and check if the issue is solved.
4. The driver of your tv is outdated
If you have been using your tv for the longest time, you must check if the drivers in the tv are outdated.
If the driver software is outdated, your tv will turn on and off immediately.
Sometimes the drive software gets clashed, causing issues in your tv.
In such cases, you must reinstall or update drivers in your tv.
Follow the steps below to reinstall the driver update on your tv:
- Plug your television into the electrical outlet and switch it on.
- Check if your tv has an internet connection. If not, connect the wifi to your tv to install the driver update.
- Access the remote and locate the input button. Press the input button, and you can see the menu bar on the TV.
- Select the option “Help”.
- Again a menu bar will appear in which you have to select diagnostic and status options.
- In the next menu bar, select the system software update option on your tv. Press the software update button, and you will see buffering in your tv searching for the latest software updates.
- Follow the further instructions on TV to update the software.
5. Your tv may be infected with a virus
Connecting the pen drive and external hard devices to the TV is common. When you connect such devices, viruses and malware, creep into your tv, resulting in the issues.
It also occurs when you install unnecessary apps on your tv.
If your TV is attached to viruses and malware, it will turn on and off immediately.
To fix this issue, you must disconnect all the external devices from the tv.
After disconnecting all the devices, you must reset your tv to the initial settings.
Initial settings refer to the default settings, and doing that will delete all the apps, wifi settings, and other customized settings in your tv.
Follow the steps below to reset your tv to the initial settings:
- Plug in your tv to the electric outlet and power it on.
- Access the remote control of your tv and press the home page option.
- Select the setting option on your tv.
- A menu bar will appear on the left side of the tv.
- You can see the GENERAL option as you scroll down. Select the general option, and see another menu bar on your tv.
- Using a central button down arrow key, scroll down to see the reset to initial setting option.
- Select the reset to initial settings option.
- You can see a confirmation pop-up message, and you must click ok to confirm your reset.
- Now you have successfully reset your tv to the initial settings.
6. Hardware issues
If your TV turns on and off immediately, it may also occur due to hardware issues.
One of the important hardware issues is the motherboard failure of your tv.
If the motherboard is at fault, your tv will cause issues even if you fix all the above issues.
To fix this issue, you must replace the motherboard.
However, replacing the TV’s motherboard is expensive, and you can do it only when you have experience working with the electrical appliance.
Follow the steps below to replace the motherboard of the television:
- Unplug the television from the electric outlet.
- Detach the tv from the stand using a screwdriver to remove the screws securing it to the stand and place it on its side on a solid flat surface.
- Access the back panel of the television.
- You can see 6mm screws securing the middle portion of the back panel. Remove the 6mm screws using a screwdriver. There will be 12 screws attached to the middle of the tv.
- And you can see another 7 screws attached at the edge of the tv. These are the 9mm screws securing the edges of the back panel.
- Make sure you secure the screen from breakage. And move the back panel forward but don’t force it to open, as a ribbon will be attached to the back panel.
- You can see a silver tape lining covering the ribbon.
- Detach the ribbon from the back panel by releasing a clamp from the ribbon.
- Pull the back panel from the tv and place it aside.
- You can now see the motherboard at the center of the back panel.
- Now, detach the ground wire from the motherboard.
- To remove the motherboard completely, you must detach the screws securing it.
- Remove the faulty motherboard and replace the new motherboard. Reattach the ground wire and secure the motherboard with screws.
- Reattach the ribbon and secure it with the locking tabs. And cover it with a silver lining.
- Reattach the back panel of the television and secure it with the screws.
- Replace the television with the stand and secure the television with the screws.
- Plug in the television and check if the issue is solved.
7. Remote control issues
If your television turns on and off and you have confirmed that the above issues are not causing trouble in your television, then most likely, your remote may be at fault.
If the remote or the batteries are faulty, they will pass on the pseudo signal to the television and cause on-and-off issues.
In such a case, you must remove the batteries from the remote and replace them if they are low.
Another common cause is the dirt accumulation in the remote’s buttons.
Clean the buttons with cotton clothes and check if the issue is solved.
If your remote is broken or damaged, you must buy a new one.
8. HDMI – CEC issues
CEC refers to the consumer electronic control, which facilitates you to connect other devices to the HDMI, enabling the feature to let access to operate the tv.
When this feature is turned on, it will turn on your TV every time you switch on another device.
While this is a cool feature, it may sometimes cause your television issues.
In such a case, you must turn off the HDMI-CEC feature.
When your tv turns on and off, there may be several issues. You don’t have to conclude replacing a TV. The cause of the issue may be as simple as replacing the batteries from the remote or hardware issues.
In any case, you can fix it by following the steps mentioned above. In the article, I have discussed 8 common issues and steps to immediately fix the issue of your tv turning on and off.
If you cannot fix the issue yourself, you must seek the help of a professional.
- 14 Ways To Fix TV Has No Sound But Not Muted
- TV Remote Won’t Work After Changing Batteries? (Why+Fix)
- Why Is My LG Tv Stuck On Logo Screen? (6 Problems+Fix)
- 10 Causes Of Horizontal Lines On TV Screens (+Fix)
Reference: LG Official Manual, Samsung Official Help.