Effective laundry cleaning is impossible without the washing, rinsing, and spinning cycle. If your Whirlpool washing machine does not spin during the spin cycle, it indicates a fault. Let’s understand how you can fix this issue.
One of the most common reasons your whirlpool washer stops at the spin cycle is that the machine is off-balanced. Level the washing machine leg to fix this issue. Another common cause is overloading. You can fix this issue by loading the clothes as per the load capacity of your washer.
In this article, I will help you understand 6 common causes and steps to fix the Whirlpool washer that stops at the spin cycle. So, keep reading.
Why is my whirlpool washer stopping at a spin cycle? (+Fix)
Washing machines are a basic yet significant requirement of households.
Whirlpool is a sought-after brand that has reliable electrical products.
Whirlpool washing machines are energy-efficient and can bear many washing cycles in a day while cleaning the laundry effectively.
And you must know how to use it correctly to avoid issues with it.
If your Whirlpool washing machine is stopping at the spin cycle, it may be due to improper loading of clothes, or it may also occur due to a motor fault.
I have shared common causes and detailed steps to fix the issues.
Let’s thrive in fixing your whirlpool washing machine issues.
1. Overloading clothes
Every one of us wants to do more laundry in less time.
So, we tend to overload the drum during the washing cycle.
Have you done the same with your washing machine?
If that’s the case, it may be why your washing machine is not spinning.
Let’s understand what happens when you overload the washing machine.
There is an automatic sensor in the whirlpool washing machine.
It senses if the washer’s drum is overloaded, and it will stop the spinning if you overload it.
A washer machine cannot sense the overload unless the water is filled in the drum.
One of the important reasons why your washing machine stops the spinning cycle if you overload it is to prevent an off-balance in your washing machine.
When off-balance occurs, the interior parts of the washing machine will get damaged, and also it will cause hazards to the person operating the machine.
So, it is necessary to load the washing machine according to its holding capacity.
You can fix these issues by following the instructions below:
- Press the cancel or stop button in your washing machine.
- Unplug it from the mains.
- Drain if there is excess water in the drum.
- Check if you have overloaded the drum.
- Remove excess clothes from the drum and close the lid to begin the new washing cycle.
- Plug in the washing machine and check if the issue is solved by beginning the washing cycle.
2. Unbalanced washing machine
Another crucial cause of the washing machine not spinning is placing it on an unlevel surface and an imbalance in the washer’s leg.
If your washing is vibrating and making unusual noises before stopping at the spin cycle, it must be due to the unlevel floor.
Placing the washing machine on an unlevel surface will damage its internal parts and also affect the washing quality.
Here is how you can fix the issues:
- Unplug the washing machine from the electric outlet.
- Move it forward to check the condition of the floor. A washing machine will be heavy, so don’t risk moving it alone. Consider taking assistance from your housemates.
- Tilt the washing machine backward to check the condition of the vibrational pads. Vibrational pads help to prevent shaking in the washing machine. In the long run, it may become loose. In such a case, you must replace it.
- Check the condition of the floor where you have placed your washing machine.
- If the floor is bumpy or cracked, you must repair it. Or you can relocate it to another place.
- If your surface is slippery, it is dangerous to place the washing machine.
- Check the legs of the washing machine. Sometimes, they may become unleveled, causing this issue.
- Tilt the washing machine backward to access the legs at the bottom.
- Adjust them using a wrench. Turn the leg clockwise to lift it upwards and anti-clock to pull it downwards.
- Next, check the level of the floor using a bubble level. And also, check the level of the washing machine.
3. Broken lid switch
Whirlpool top-loading washing machines have a lid switch.
The lid switch plays an important role in keeping the door closed during the washing cycle.
Lid switches are designed to transfer the signal to the control panel if the door is not latched properly.
When the lid switch is broken, it won’t transfer the signal to the control panel, and your washing machine will recognize it as a door left open, resulting in the washing machine stopping during a spin cycle.
Even the washing machine will not get started.
To fix this issue, you must replace the lid switch.
Here is how you can replace a lid switch from the whirlpool washing machine:
- Unplug the machine from the electric outlet to prevent elocution, or turn off the circuit breaker if your washer is hard-wired.
- Turn off the hot and cold water supply valves and pull the washing machine forward to work comfortably.
- Access the washing machine’s backside to unthread the screw securing the control panel.
- After removing the screws, tilt the control panel backward.
- As you tilt the control panel, you can see two screws securing the control panel, the top panel, and the back panel in place.
- Unthread those two screws to remove the retainers from the place.
- Detach the cabinet from the washing machine.
- Open the top loading washing machine’s door, and you can see two screws on the right side of the washing machine. Unthread those two screws to release the lid switch.
- Look underneath the washing machine, where you can see a screw folding the lid switch wire harness. Remove the screws to detach the wire harness from the retaining clips.
- Detach the wire harness and the lid switch from the cabinet and replace them with the new one.
- Replace the new wire harness into the slot and secure it with the retainer underneath the cabinet.
- Reattach the cabinet to the washing machine, connect the lid switch to the top, and secure it with screws.
- Make sure the back of the washing machine is secure with the washing machine.
- Reinstall the retaining clips you removed earlier. Ensure you secure the top panel and the back with the retaining clip.
- Now, reattach the control panel to the top and secure it with the locking tabs and two screws at the back of the washer.
- Move the washer to its position and turn on the water supply valves.
- Plug in the washer and begin the test washing cycle to check if the issue is solved.
4. A faulty motor
A drive motor in the washing machine helps to move the clothes and agitate inside the drum.
It also plays an important role in the rotation of the drum.
Another important function of the motor is to force the water drain out of the washing machine.
If the drive motor is burnt, it won’t function effectively to carry out the functions.
The washing machine won’t get the mechanical energy to rotate its drum during the spin cycle.
In such a case, you must replace the drive motor.
However, replacing the drive motor in the washing machine is challenging.
You must do it only when you have experienced doing electric appliance repairs.
If not, it is best to hire a professional to do the replacement.
Here is how you can replace the drive motor from the washing machine.
- Unplug the washing machine from the electric outlet.
- Move the washer forward with the help of an assistant.
- Turn off the water supply valves and detach the drain hose from the standing pipe at the back side of the washing machine.
- Disconnect the water supply and drain hoses from the washing machine.
- With the help of the assistant, turn your washing machine to tilt on the side to access the bottom panel.
- Access the bottom panel and unthread the screws to detach it from the washing machine.
- You can see the drive components covered with plastic cover. Pull off the cover by removing the screws securing it, and place it aside.
- Now, you can see a belt running around the motor.
- Pull the belt out of the motor components and set it aside.
- You can see a wire harness connected to the motor. Disconnect it from the motor.
- Now, remove the screws that hold the motor to the basement of the whirlpool washing machine.
- Pull the faulty motor out of place and discard it.
- Purchase the new drive motor based on the model of your whirlpool washing machine.
- Replace the new drive motor and secure it with the screws you removed earlier.
- Place the belt on the drive pulley assembly.
- Reconnect the wire harness to the motor and lock it tightly in the tab.
- Reattach the top plastic cover and secure it with the screws.
- Reattach the bottom panel and secure it with screws.
- Bring back the washing machine to the upright position.
- Turn on the water supply valve and move the washing machine to its original position.
- Reconnect the drain hose and water supply pipes to the washing machine.
- Plug in the washing machine and check if the issue is solved.
5. A faulty belt
The drive belt in the washing machine goes around the drive motor and drive pulley.
It helps to rotate the washing machine’s drum and keep the washing machine in a balanced state.
If the drive belt is worn out, the washing machine won’t rotate and will cause an off-balance during the spin cycle.
In such a case, you must replace the drive belt:
- Unplug the washing machine from the mains to prevent electric hazards.
- Turn off the water supply valves from the washing machine.
- Disconnect the drain hose and water supply pipes from the washing machine.
- Move the washing machine forward to work with comfort.
- With the help of the assistant, tilt your Whirlpool washing machine to the front to access the bottom panel.
- Now, you can access the bottom panel to replace the drive belt.
- You can see a plastic cover securing the drive mechanism. Unthread the screws securing it to detach it from the washing machine.
- Now, you can see a belt running around the drive pulley and motor.
- Rotate the belt to remove it from the washing machine.
- Purchase the new belt based on the model of your whirlpool washing machine.
- Replace the new belt with the drive motor mechanism.
- Reattach the plastic cover and secure it with the screws.
- Reattach the back panel and tilt the washing machine to the upright position.
- Move the washing machine to its original position. Turn on the water supply valves and reconnect the drain hose and water supply lines.
- Plug in the washing machine and start the test washing cycle to check if the issue is solved.
6. Using excessive detergent
It is a common misconception among people to associate the usage of excessive detergent with effective cleaning.
But that’s not true.
Using excessive detergent will not make your clothes extra clean; instead, it will make the clothes come with studs.
It will also disturb the spinning cycle in the high-efficiency washing machine.
A high-efficiency washing machine has a sensor to detect the load level in the drum.
If there are too many suds in the washing machine due to excessive detergent, a washing machine sensor misunderstands it to the overfilling of the drum.
In such a case, a spinning cycle is stopped.
To fix this issue, you must remove the suds from the drum by letting the water flow into the drum.
You can avoid this issue by using the right amount of detergent, as mentioned on the label.
Is it worth repairing your whirlpool washer that won’t spin?
It depends on the cost of repair and the cost of the new washing machine.
If the repair cost exceeds 50% of the original price of the washing machine, it is better to buy a new one.
Because, however, it will get faulty again.
If you don’t have the budget to buy a new washing machine, you can repair the old one by following the steps mentioned in the article without hiring professionals.
Tips for maintaining your Whirlpool washing machine to prevent faults
A fault in the washing machine will disturb your routine and decrease your productivity.
So, it is important to maintain it well to avoid any faults and failings.
Here are some tips to prevent your washing machine from faults and failings:
- Use good quality detergent. If you use a high-efficient washing machine, you must use a detergent manufactured with a high-efficient washing machine. Using cheap detergent will damage the washing machine and your clothes as they contain heavy alkaline substances.
- If you use hard water to do laundry, it will cause salt accumulation in your washing machine. Not cleaning your washing machine will affect its efficiency. It is important to deep clean your washing machine using a cleaning solution to remove stubborn dirt.
- Clean the detergent drawers regularly. Detach the detergent drawer, sock it in a cleaning solution, and use a brush to remove the excess dirt and debris in the detergent drawer.
- Inspect the hoses and water supply lines at least once a month. Check if they are connected tightly to the pipes tight to avoid any spillage. It also happens that drain hoses get clogged due to dirt accumulation. Unclog the drain hose regularly to facilitate smooth water flow.
- Clean the filter regularly. Filters collect all the dirt and foreign materials from the washing cycle. In the long run, dirt will block the filter completely. So, cleaning the filter with the brush and soaking it in the cleaning solution is important.
Keeping the washing machine clean will prevent the majority of faults in it. Other important causes of the faults are overloading and using excess detergent.
The washing machine keeps working frequently. So, it is common to see faults in it. If your washing machine stops in the spin cycle, you must figure out the cause before fixing the issue. In this article, I have discussed six common causes and steps to fix the issues.
One of the common causes is overloading and uneven distribution of clothes in the drum. So, load the drum according to its capacity. Check if the clothes are unevenly distributed; if that’s the case, remove heavy clothes and distribute the clothes across the agitator.
However, other issues include a faulty drive motor, belt, and lid switch. In such a case, you must replace the faulty parts. Go through the article, figure out the cause and fix the issues by following the steps mentioned.
If you are not confident about replacing the faulty parts, you must seek professional help.
- Can You Put Detergent Directly On Clothes? (+The Correct Way)
- Can You Run A Washing Machine With A Generator?
- 6 Ways To Fix Loose Drum In Washing Machine
- 6 Reasons Your Washer Shake Really Bad (+Fix)
- 6 Reasons Your Washing Machine Makes Loud Noise At End Of Spin Cycle
Reference: Whirlpool Official user manual, Whirlpool Frontload manual.