A Maytag dryer is among the best dryers available in the market. It helps you dry your clothes easily. But like other dryers, it also malfunctions sometimes or shows errors. And code F01 error is one of them.
The code F01 on a Maytag dryer might be an issue with the door switch, control board, pressure hose, or power supply. Start by checking the door switch or door lock; if that is working fine, check the control board, pressure hose, and power supply and ensure everything is working properly.
So, in this article, I will share all the possible reasons why your Maytag dryer shows an F01 error and the fixes. So, keep reading.
Why does the Maytag dryer show an F01 error code?
Here are the common reasons why your Maytag dryer shows an F01 error code.
1. A malfunctioning control board
An electric control board manages the setting, the dryer time, and the overall functioning of a dryer.
It sends signals to the motor if it stops running.
The board is located at the backside of the control panel.
Sometimes the board starts malfunctioning for some reason which can cause the F01 code error in the dryer.
2. Problem with the thermal switch
The thermal switch or fuse of a dryer helps keep the dryer safe.
It detects and controls the temperature of the air flowing outside the vent.
The fuse blows and stops the dryer if the air is too hot.
It also monitors the amount of heat produced by the dryer.
If the thermal switch becomes faulty, the dryer shows an F01 code error.
3. Faulty Thermistor
Every dryer contains a thermistor.
It ensures the clothes dry effectively.
A thermistor works as a sensor.
It monitors the heat temperature inside the dryer.
If it finds any small increase in the air temperature, it sends a signal to the dryer to increase or reduce the heat to maintain the correct temperature.
The main cause of a dryer failure is a mechanical break between the resistor element and the lead material.
It is caused by excessive heat in the dryer and thermal mismatch sometimes.
4. Faulty door switch
Every dryer has a small door switch.
It has a simple function to on-off the door.
Every dryer comes with a door switch for safety purposes.
A door switch has small prongs or terminals that signal the control board to shut or open the door.
If the door is not shut, the switch doesn’t signal, and the dryer won’t run.
Sometimes the door switch can be broken or damaged.
So, it cannot signal the control board, and the door will get shut.
This simple issue also can cause the Maytag dryer F01 error.
5. Problem with the control panel
The control panel of a dryer is the brain of the dryer.
It operates the whole function of a dryer.
It is a digital panel.
Everything is done by the control panel from the on/off button of a dryer.
If the dryer is aging or the control panel is not working properly, the dryer can show an F01 code error.
6. Glitch or power surge through the electrical line
The F01 error code means a faulty control board or any internal issue with the dryer machine.
But sometimes, the error can cause by a glitch or power surge through an electrical line.
There are many reasons why a power surge happens through the electrical line.
Some of the common reasons are overloaded circuits, damaged or faulty wiring, high voltage devices connected in the same circuit, or a power outage.
7. Blockage inside the machine’s pressure switch hose
A pressure switch hose sends information about how much water a washing machine contains, whether it is full or empty, to the control board.
If the hose is blocked somehow or for any other reason, it can cause the F01 error if damaged.
How to fix the Maytag dryer that shows an F01 code error?
Here are the ways to fix the f101 code error in your Maytag dryer.
1. Reset the dryer
Sometimes your dryer shows an F01 error because of no reason.
And this is the time when you can easily fix it by doing a simple reset.
To reset the dryer, you need to follow the below steps:
- First, unplug the dryer and let it be for 10 minutes in this state.
- After 10 minutes, plug it in again. When you plug it in again, it will charge up.
- After charging it up again, check whether the F01 code has vanished. If the issue does not resolve, follow the next step.
- Press the power/cancel button twice on the control panel.
- Now reselect a cycle and press the start button. Check if the code is still showing or not.
- Do both things 2 or 3 times until the F01 code is resolved.
2. Replace the control board
A control board controls the overall function of a dryer or any appliance.
If the control board of the dryer starts making problems, it can cause the F01 error.
To fix the issue, you need to follow the below steps:
- First, unplug the dryer and turn off the gas hose.
- Now, check the backside of the dryer. You will find two screws on the top panel. Use a screwdriver and remove them.
- Now pull back on the top panel and lift and remove it. Now you can access the control board.
- To remove the control board, you must unplug all the wires and remove a screw. Some of the wires have little tabs. Make sure you take a photo when you remove the wires.
- To remove the wires, you need to push the little tabs to release the wires.
- Now take a ¼ inch nut driver to remove the screw. You can find two screws in your model.
- Once the screws are removed, hold the control board, shift it over to the side, and pull it up straight.
- Now, grab the new control board and look at the backside. You can see these tabs sticking out. If you want to line up those tabs with the slots, slide them in.
- Once the control panel is set properly, screw it down.
- Now, plug all the wires into the control board.
- Now reinstall the top panel and screw it.
Once all is done, check whether the F01 error has disappeared.
3. Replace the door switch
A faulty door switch also can cause the F01 error.
In this case, you need to replace the door switch.
To replace the door switch, follow the below steps:
- Unplug the dryer’s power cord from the power source and turn the gas off.
- Now you have to remove the front door panel. To do that, you must unscrew the front screws using a screwdriver.
- Once the screws are off, you can find the bottom hanging freely. So, you need to pull out the panel to remove it.
- Once done, you can find a couple of wires behind the door panel. These wires go to the door switch, and you need to unplug those first.
- Now take the panel and move it aside.
- Open the door of the front door panel, and you can find the little tab of the switch backside of the panel.
- Squeeze on either side of the tab. Once you have done that, you should be able to get the switch out.
- Now grab the new replacement door switch. You can buy it online.
- To put the door switch in, slide the electrode through the hole first and push it straight in. It should snap into place.
- Now you can close the door and hook the wires back up in the same order as before.
- Now put the front panel back in place. You need to pick it up and angle it a bit. Just tilt it back until you hear the clips snap into place. Then you should able to close it up.
- Now screw up the panel. And you are done with the replacement.
Turn on the gas and plug the power cord into the power source.
4. Check and replace the control panel
A control panel is the user interface of the dryer.
It has buttons and a display.
Users can set the temperature and heat or control the dryer machine through it.
But sometimes, it malfunctions, and that can cause an F01 error.
In this case, you need to repair the control board or replace it.
- First, disconnect the power cord from the power source.
- Turn off the gas.
- Now turn your dryer around and look at the backside.
- Remove the screws that hold the top panel.
- Once the two screws are removed, pull back the top panel and then lift and remove it.
- Now, remove the wire that goes up to the front control board.
- The next step is to remove the front control panel. To remove the front control panel, you need to unscrew the two screws on top of it and take these screws out.
- Once the screws are off, you can take off the front control panel, lift and push back it simultaneously, and release the control panel.
- Once the control panel is released, you can find wires clipped in, along with the entire piece.
- Now check if the wires are burned out or damaged or if the wiring is loosening.
- If the problem with the wire, then you need to replace the wires. You need to unclip the wires, remove them, and put the new wires in the right order.
- But if the wires are not burned or damaged, you must replace the control panel.
- To replace the control panel, remove all the screws on the plate.
- Once the screws are removed, move the panel around and lift out the front panel.
- Now grab the new replacement control panel assembly and line it up with all the screw holes in the main panel.
- Now just put it straight in, flip it over, and screw it back in.
- Next, plug these wires back in.
- Now put the front panel back in its place. To do that, you need to feed the wires through the hole first. And then set up the control panel correctly.
- Then plug this wire back into the control board. And screw it up and back down on the control panel.
- Now put the back panel correctly and screw it up tightly. Now the replacement is complete.
- Turn on the gas hose, plug the cord into the power switch, and start the dryer. Check if the error is still appearing or not.
5. Fix the glitching or power surging through the electrical line
Follow these steps if your dryer is causing an error because of a glitch, power surge, or power interruption:
- First, check if the home circuit breaker is working properly or issuing.
- To do that, you must unplug the circuit’s dryer power cord. And then plug another appliance into it. If another appliance is getting power, the circuit breaker is alright; if it is not, you need to replace it.
- If there is no issue with the circuit breaker, you should disconnect the dryer from the main of your house and reconnect it after some time.
- To do that, you first have to close the error display by pressing the pause or cancel button twice.
- Next, unplug the power cord, and keep it the same for 2 minutes.
- Once 2 minutes is up, plug the main cord and resume the machine’s power supply.
- Now select a short cycle and press start. Give it a look for a minute. If the error is not showing up, then the issue is resolved.
6. Fix the dryer’s power switch hose
The pressure switch hose goes in between the tub and the pressure switch.
If a hole in the hose or the dryer is overfilling, it can cause an F01 error.
- Unplug the dryer’s power cord or ensure the circuit breakers are off to prevent electrical shock.
- To fix the hose, look at the back side of the dryer. You can find 3 screws there in the back of the dryer. Take a screwdriver and unthread the screws on the top.
- Once the screws are out, lift the top panel and pull back on it, so it comes up from the control panel. Lift it and keep it aside.
- Now you have to remove the back panel. To do that, you must take a screwdriver and remove all the screws holding the back panel.
- Now hold the back panel, and we can pull out the bottom a little, let the panel drop down a little bit, and pull it off the dryer.
- Once the back panel is off, you can access the pressure switch hose. It runs from the air chamber up to the pressure switch.
- Use a small flathead screwdriver to take it off the air chamber.
- Once you have it off the air chamber, follow it up and take it out of the holding clip.
- Now go up and take the hose off the pressure switch.
- To take off the pressure switch, you need to reach into the power switch and use a screwdriver to help you get it off.
- Once the hose is off, you can lift it out of the dryer.
- Now take the new pressure switch hose and put it in.
- First, feed it inside the washer, and then you can connect it to the water level pressure switch.
- Push it inside the hose onto the fitting. Make sure it goes on, so you get a good seal.
- Once done, you need to hook up the other end. You do not need to put the hose into the clip in the first place. First, hook it up to the air chamber.
- To do that first grab at the end, push it on.
- Once you have pushed the hose into the air chamber, follow it up and put it into the clip. Just put it carefully and ensure it’s centered and the hose isn’t rubbed.
- Once you have installed it, put the back panel on the dryer.
- To put the back panel on, you must ensure the upper lift goes behind the smaller panel on the top and lower it against the front.
- Once the back panel is lined up, use the torque 20 driver and put all the screws in.
- Now put the top panel of the dryer. And put all the screws in and tighten them.
- Now plug the power cord in, start the dryer, and check if it still shows the error code.
7. Check the thermistor
A faulty thermistor also can cause the F01 error.
To fix the error code, you need to fix or replace the thermistor.
Follow the below steps to fix the issue:
- Before start repairing, make sure you turn off the gas dryer and unplug it.
- Now you need to remove the top panel. To do that, go to the backside of the dryer, and you can find two screws on the top. Unscrew them with the help of a screwdriver.
- Now pull back the top panel and then lift and remove it. Once it is done, remove the front panel.
- To remove the front panel, you have to unthread the front screws by using a screwdriver.
- Once the screws are off, pull the panel to remove it. When you pull out the front panel, you can find a couple of wires connect to the panel with a little tab. So, disconnect the wires and take the front panel aside.
- Once it is done, remove the front bulkhead. To do that, you must first disconnect the moisture sensor wiring connectors by pulling them straight off.
- Next, remove the screws around the parameter and loosen the top screws.
- Finally, lift the bulkhead up and off the loosened screws, gently lower the drum into the machine, and set the bulkhead aside.
- Once the bulkhead is removed, you can get access to the thermistor.
- To remove the thermistor, remove the wiring connectors using a pair of needle nose pliers.
- Now remove the screws holding it to the blower housing.
- Now pull the thermistor out and set it aside.
- To install the new thermistor, lift the drum and set it in place. Hold the screws and tighten them up.
- Now install the two wiring connectors and reinstall the bulkhead.
- To install the bulkhead, line up the blower housing and swing the top into place while lifting the drum.
- Reset the drum on the rollers and turn it to ensure it is seated properly.
- Now hang the top of the bulkhead back onto the loosened screws and tighten the screws down. Then install the four screws located in the bottom parameter.
- Finally, reconnect the wiring to the moisture sensor.
- Now reinstall the front panel as well as the top panel.
- Now install all the screws and tighten them up.
Finally, the repair is complete. Now, plug in the power cord and turn on the gas hose.
Hopefully, you get all the points why your Maytag dryer is showing an F01 error. Now you just need to fix the issue according to the problem.
Make sure you keep yourself safe by putting rubber gloves on your hand and unplugging the dryer whenever you will go to repair it by yourself. If you are not confident repairing your Maytag dryer, you should call a technician.
- Dryer Lint Getting Past Screen: 8 Possible Causes+Fix
- 6 Reasons Your Dryer Is Making Rattling Noise (+Fix)
- 8 Reasons Your Dryer Makes Loud Banging Noise (+Fix)
Reference: Maytag Dryer error codes, Maytag dryer product assistance, Maytag Dryer Tips & Tricks.